Thursday, February 01, 2007

Why You Don't Need Self-Discipline To Succeed

If you have to use self-discipline in your work, you are doomed to failure.

I don't have a self-disciplined bone in my body. We all do self-disciplined activities every day, even if we don't recognize them as such. We move towards things we like and love, and move away from things that cause us pain.

Do you think I'm writing this article because I am self-disciplined? Hell no! I'm writing it because I get pleasure out of doing this - just as I get pleasure from exercising, and I get pleasure from eating a raw food diet.

Many people can't imagine gaining pleasure from writing, exercising, or eating a Vegan Raw Food Diet. But I, in fact, love doing these things. However, there was a time in my life when I was in high school and college that I hated computers, writing, lifting weights and eating fruits and vegetables.

So how did I do it? Did I use self-discipline to make myself all of a sudden like these things? Absolutely not. I am horrible at self-discipline. But I am a motivated person as all people are. Every single one of us on this planet is motivated towards something.

Many of us are very self-disciplined at watching TV, going to movies, playing video games, surfing the web, eating out at our favorite restaurants, or hanging out with friends. So we are all self-disciplined.

Get it out of your mind that you lack self-discipline. Everyone is completely self-disciplined. You can get yourself to do just about anything if you really want to do it.

Life is about gaining pleasure and avoiding pain, not about self-discipline. You must learn to master the two main motivating forces in life: Pleasure and Pain.

Why do we file our income taxes? For most of us it's not for the pleasure of it, but to avoid the pain of going to jail or paying heavy fines. Why do we want to go on vacation? Because we picture all the enjoyment we will have.

So the key question is: how was I (and how will you) be able to get yourself to do things that you currently don't like?

There's obviously going to be a need of change in your mindset. Are you going to have to force yourself against your own will? This, I'm afraid, can't be done for any great length of time. Willpower doesn't last for very long.

What you have to do is to associate in your mind more pleasure with the new activity and more pain with the old activity. Then you have to keep consciously doing this until you have established a new habit. A new habit usually takes about 21 days to solidify, though it could take only a week.

Why is it that I enjoy writing now? It's not the actual writing I enjoy, it's the ability to express my ideas. I have a burning desire to help people discover their full potential. Whenever I discover something really helpful, I love sharing it. That's just my personality type.

Several years ago I realized that writing is one way, I can reach many people both via the Internet and through authoring books. My desire for expression and the income I could receive from writing overpowered my absolute disgust at writing.

I also had a major change in my outlook in 1987 so that I felt I had something to write about. I started keeping a journal and often wrote in it several times throughout the day. Eventually it dawned on me that I liked writing.

I especially realized that I like writing letters to friends. I have no problem whipping out long emails. I know that most people are not like that. But this is all related to desire.

How did I get myself to do a Raw Food Vegan Diet? This is the most restrictive diet out there. Being a Vegan is much easier than being a Raw Food Vegan. I motivated myself by reading books about the diet. I was so impressed by what could be done I figured what the heck, I'll give it a try. Right away, this diet cured me of a six and a half year depression. That is powerful motivation.

Eliminating the pain of depression motivated me to do the raw diet. If I ate at least 50% raw foods throughout the day, I felt fine. When I had days where I ate all cooked food, I quickly got back into a depressed state. This has happened over and over so I know it is the cooked food causing this. In fact, I had tried several other diets but they didn't have anything close to the effects of a raw diet. So I know it wasn't a placebo effect.

But that was only a 50 to 70% raw diet. Yet I knew there were many other benefits I would achieve if I could go 100%. One day I ** decided ** to go 100% raw by focusing on all the benefits and equating cooked food to being worse than smoking. If you know me, I hate smoking with a passion. So these things worked to get me started off.

Then I said I'd just do it for one month. If I don't like it, I can always go back. I gave myself the freedom to go back - hoping I would choose to stay raw. During the initial week, I had a hard time. I was on vacation and we were passing all these great restaurants. I started focusing on all the meals I was missing out on. This made me very hungry.

Then I realized what I was subconsciously doing. So I changed my thoughts and focused on how well I was feeling and on all the amazing benefits that I would reap from doing this diet. I also realized that one day it would be easy for me to eat raw when it became a habit.

That day has come. I never think about going out to cooked food restaurants anymore. That desire has completely left me. To completely get rid of the desire for cooked food took me about a year. But each week was easier than the week before.

You can train yourself to like anything. If you like it or love it, you will be very self-disciplined. So remember to use the force of desire and you'll never fail again by trying to use the concept of self-discipline or will power. This desire you create must be a raging desire. It must be really strong to get you over the hurdle.

A few years back I discovered a program that will teach you how to find out what you really want out of your life. This contrarian success program by Jack Zufelt and is called, "The DNA of Success." In it Jack shows you how to uncover your true Core Desires. For most people this takes some digging. But this program has a simple series of questions to help you discover your Core Desires.

Once you find your Core Desires, they will unleash the Conquering Force of Desire within you. You will be motivated by desire and not self-discipline to achieve your dreams. It's these super power Core Desires that will make you self-disciplined. But you'll just feel like you are having fun.

If you are like many other people and don't know what you want out of life then this is the program for you.

To find out more just click on this link: http://www.dnaofsuccess.com

To Your Radiant Health, Happiness and Fitness, Roger Haeske

No comments: