Tuesday, October 17, 2006

Grandpa risks death & finds fountain of youth

I finally got the video from my cellphone to go with this article I posted a while back about mountain climbing I was doing with my father. I hope the video works. Below the video is the original article I sent out to subscribers of the Superbeing Secrets Letter.

Actually I have three videos now on this article post. They are all about 30 seconds long and taken with my cellphone video camera. The first two are right here and the last one is further below.







++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

*** Superbeing Secrets ***
Raw Food, Bodyweight Fitness & Self-Mastery

"Ageless 66-Year-Old Grandpa (My Father) Risks Death By Climbing A 6000 Foot Mountain, For 4 Hours, Without Water, Climbing Gear, Maps Or A Trail, On A 95 Degree Day."

* How my father keeps his body as fit and capable as a 30 year old. * Why age has little to do with your physical and mental achievements but poor health habits do. * See the beautiful mountain pictures of our climb: linked below.

Dear Friends,

The other day I went on the most exciting and dangerous adventure of my life. I did it with my youthful 66-year-old father, who is actually a granddad these days.

I'm on vacation now, visiting my dad in Oregon. On my second day with him we went to the northernmost redwood forest in California. That was simply breathtaking. Later that day we went to this beach and hiked 3 miles in a constant 40 to 50 mile per hour wind. I was so cold. Thankfully, the cold wind relented and warmed on the way back.

This was not an easy hike. We climbed some cliffs and had to walk over very unsteady ground including rocks and huge forests of driftwood. I know many adults who would never have even ventured the idea of doing the hike we did because there was risk of injury.

They would have thought it too difficult and dangerous. Many older adults simply wouldn't be physically capable of going on this adventure.

** A Quick, Easy & Fun Way To Get Fit **

If you want to restore the strength, energy and balance of your youth then you need to do vigorous exercise and eat a healthy diet. The Lightning Speed Fitness Program is a fun way to get fit, burn fat and you can even do it on vacation as I have been doing.

It's the perfect vacation fitness program and you can get in awesome shape in only 15 minutes. Even five minutes will do wonders for you.

For more info: http://www.superbeing.net/Lightning.html

*~*~*~*~*~*~*

But what we did the next day was ten times harder. I must say that I'm truly amazed at my father's physical and mental capabilities.

Physically it seems he's capable of doing anything he could do when he was 30 years old. Mentally he's just as sharp as ever and still working as a consulting engineer.

His body looks the same as when he was 30, except he has a few more wrinkles and grey hairs. My father is an example of how people should be. He takes care of his health and therefore, he's not plagued by all the old age diseases that other people experience.

** Physically he acts more like a 30 year old than a typical 66 year old.

All his life he's eaten a lot of fruits and vegetables. I remember his everyday lunch at work would consist of bananas and green delicious apples. I never saw him pack anything else.

These days he eats very simply and exercises every day. He's not a 100% raw foodist. However, that might soon change. Since I am visiting he decided to try eating mostly raw. So far he's been eating about 95% raw with me and not having much of a problem or transition at all.

Later on I'll discuss one problem he had and that is typical of new raw foodists. It made his mountain climbing adventure much more difficult.

Below is a letter I sent to some friends describing our exciting and yet dangerous climbing experience.

I think you'll find it interesting and I only hope that you can do the same or better when you are 66 years of age. If you take care of yourself, there's no reason, besides fear, that you couldn't do this as well. You need strength, flexibility, great balance and courage to attempt something like this.

What I haven't told you is that he's done this climb by himself and climbed several other mountains in the area by himself. Personally, I think that's too risky, but it doesn't bother him at all. I'll include links to pictures of the area we climbed below.

** Our Mountain Climbing Story **

What an adventure I had today in Oregon with my father. I wasn't nearly as tired today. Got up to 85% of my strength back. (Hadn't slept enough, jet lag, higher altitude and I wasn't eating enough calories.) I'm catching up slowly.

We went mountain climbing. It was an incredible ordeal. I was thirsty as soon as we started climbing. I ate some dulse(which is a quite salty seaweed) before we started and we didn't bring enough water. So I was very thirsty right from the beginning.

I don't think my father understood how thirsty I was. I thought we would be down within a couple of hours and even then I didn't want to go because I knew I'd only get even more thirsty as we climbed in this 95 degree day. I had no idea of what was in store for me.

Later on my father got really thirsty as well. We started trying to chew on leaves to extract water from them, but they just made us more thirsty because of their bitter taste. There was no water anywhere on our path.

We went through every kind of terrain. We even carried bear repellant. We actually climbed two peaks. The first adventure took about an hour and the second one took a few minutes under four hours.

The climbing was physically and mentally challenging. I'd estimate only 1% of 66 year old Americans would be capable of this climb. It was a tremendous leg and calf workout. Our knees were quite sore the next day and I had blisters on both of my big toes. We were often on unstable ground, hanging on to tree branches while climbing some areas up to a 90-degree grade, like a sheer cliff.

We had to go through dense brush, duck down and all the while constantly going up very steep areas with unstable ground. My father says that this instability is great for keeping your legs strong and firm.

You never know which way your ankle will turn and you have to have good reflexes so you don't fall the wrong way and hurt yourself. This is similar to stability ball training. This kind of climbing is one of the secrets to his youthfulness.

He also feels young just because he's doing stuff most people would only attempt at a young age. The emotional challenge and the physical exertion keep him young.

In the end, the scenic views and sense of adventure and accomplishment were worth it. Especially at the end when we were saved from possibly deadly results.

For a while, I was getting a bit worried. We had no trail to follow and we were completely alone and lost, trying to go back down the steep grades of this mountain. I was constantly vigilant of losing my balance and tumbling down the mountain. I was often sliding and did fall a couple of times, but recovered quickly. My father fell at least once as well.

No one else was climbing the mountain. And we were both exhausted and thirsty and it was getting near sunset. We were also exhausted, on top of the fact that we had to get down and it was quite steep and difficult in many areas.

We often had to hang on to branches and jump to rocks. We frequently fell and slid on loose rocks. We also had to go across instead of down so we could find more passable terrain. We saw two large animal poops, maybe bear or elk. We also saw hoof prints later on and that was very high up.

I couldn't imagine how fit four legged animals that live on this mountain must be.

Near the end of coming down (I had no idea how much longer it would last. We went up for over two hour's total time.) We went up to 6,000 feet or so. We found a cool pond which turned into a stream.

That water was so cold and to us it was like "The Fountain Of Youth". It was probably melted snow. We even saw a snowy patch on another nearby mountain in an area that was protected from direct sunlight. (People ski at Mt. Hood, Oregon, all year round. And I saw the snow covered mountain from the plane. Snow was not at the lower part of Mt. Hood.)

Anyway that water was a gift from God. Just previous to that I was asking for divine intervention and it came within five minutes. I didn't expect water, but a way to get back to our truck.

I drank up the cool and I think clean water and so did my father. I still feel fine. We didn't see any pollution in this area at all.

After finding the ice-cold stream, I was totally relieved and refreshed. I felt better than when I first started the climb because finally I wasn't thirsty anymore. My legs and body were worn out but after drinking the water I had renewed energy levels.

Later on we came to the point where there was a mini waterfall. It sounded so peaceful and pristine; we both felt we were in heaven, even though we still hadn't found the road to get us back to the truck. At that point we were just enjoying our experience.

Here's a 30 second video clip I took with my cellphone camera of this little stream that saved us. Now that we took care of our extreme thirst we only had to make sure to get out of the forest before nightfall. It was very close to sunset and so we could have been stuck for a night in the woods.

That was what we were really afraid of because prior to the water, we would have had to spend the night in the woods without any source of water. So half our problems were solved by finding our little fountain of youth. I was never so happy to drink water.




** Pictures Of Our Day **

http://tinyurl.com/zb598

** My father makes a typical raw food newbie mistake

My father was exhausted also because he only had four bananas and maybe 20 cherries for his breakfast over 7 hours previous. Whereas I had about 7 bananas, plus wild blackberries in a couple of green smoothies. I was really full at the time. I also had three more bananas to try and quench my thirst before we climbed again. They only helped a little bit in relieving my thirst. However, I consumed 2.5 times the calories that my father did and we are about the same height and weight.

Later he complained that four bananas were not enough and he remembered the last time he climbed this mountain he ate a bowl of cereal just before he climbed and that his energy levels were fine then.

I explained to him that he just didn't eat enough calories. It has nothing to do with needing complex carbohydrates. Fruits fill you up on much fewer calories because they are filled with water and fiber that is missing in cooked food.

I had loads of energy. On our first climb (before I was thirsty, I was running up the mountain in the easier areas to climb. I wanted to make sure I got a good workout. (Turns out that wasn't necessary.) So I had enough energy, he just didn't eat enough calories to sustain him for such a long and taxing climb.

This is a typical problem with people first eating a raw food diet. They almost always feel full on about half to 2/3rd of the calories they are used to eating. But they complain they are always hungry or don't have enough energy.

** Old Age Is Not A Disease **

My father's physical abilities at 66 years of age are awesome. I bet you only 1% of 66 year olds in the US can do what he did with me today.

I'm sick of hearing people complain they can't do things because of their age. They believe age somehow gives them all these diseases. It's not age but years and years of poor eating, health and fitness habits that cause their so-called, old age diseases.

Heck I had arthritis in my late twenties but now at 39 and on a raw food diet, I don't have arthritis anymore. Just another example that it has nothing to do with age.

** Are they from Mars?

About ten minutes after finding the stream and drinking from several places in the stream, we actually saw two people with two dogs and a camper. I think they thought we were from Mars.

They were camping there and probably thought they were the only ones around. They were very nice and told us where the road was and would have driven us back I believe if we asked.

But we stubbornly marched on. It turns out we overshot the truck by at least a mile. We went further down the mountain than where we had started.

We had to walk uphill on the rocky road for over a mile and by that point my father was like a zombie. He was so tired that he didn't have the energy to talk.

Lack of calories was the main reason why. He hit the wall and was conserving all of his strength to make it back to the truck. I was fairly energetic and talkative at this point considering our previous energy expenditures.

We eventually made it to the truck. Just before we got to the truck we ran into a couple sitting in a car and camping there. They also seemed shocked to see us walking there.

They asked where we were going and I said to our car. They said that only goes to the river, but my father turned right and went up this hill that only a 4-wheel drive can go up. That is when I finally remembered we had driven here to park before.

Then I said to them we actually have a truck. We finally made it.

I think they were concerned for our safety and wanted to make sure we would be ok and couldn't imagine we had driven up that steep and bumpy hill.

I must say, I saw so much beauty in our quest. It was just gorgeous and the pictures won't do it justice. When we were walking back, I saw a lake we had seen from way above while we were climbing. I took a picture of it from up there. I also took several pictures of it when I saw it up close. It was really beautiful to see.

Hopefully the rest of my vacation won't be as challenging as the last two days.

To Your Radiant Health, Happiness and Fitness, Roger Haeske

P.S. If you want to stay fit and healthy until your very last day then consider joining us at www.HowToGoRaw.com/success.html. Members also get complete access to the Lightning Speed Fitness Program included at no extra charge as well.

Listen to over three hours of information packed and frëe raw food audios by visiting http://www.howtogoraw.com/audios.htm.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Roger, I've been getting your newsletter for awhile now, totally believe in law of attraction, on my own spiritual quest and am new to raw but 100% now for only a couple weeks. I'm seeing huge changes! I'll check in to your blog regularly, I enjoy hearing about your "awakenings" and thank you for sharing! Kelly in Ohio

Anonymous said...

Big fan Roger, keep 'em coming!